Summit Fire Department tackles blaze

SUMMIT, NJ — The Summit Fire Department responded to an office building at 57 Union Place after a report of a chimney fire was received at 3:39 p.m. on Friday, June 19.

On arrival, crews found smoke in the area and received reports of “flames shooting out of the chimney at 67 Union Place.” Firefighters used ladders to check the roof and chimney of both buildings. Excessive heat and smoke were found to be coming from the chimney at 67 Union Place. The officer at the scene issued a Signal 11 for additional manpower and station coverage. Both buildings were evacuated as a safety precaution while a further investigation was completed.

Thermal imaging cameras were used to inspect the interior and chimney at 67 Union Place. The brick oven at 67 Union Place was determined to be the cause of the excessive smoke condition and will be temporarily out of use while the owner has the chimney inspected. The business at 67 Union Place has reopened.

“Our crews were able to quickly contain the excessive smoke and the situation was declared under control at 4:32 p.m.,” said SFD Deputy Chief Donald Nelson. “There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters.”

Summit Fire Department was assisted at the scene by Millburn Fire Department. Summit headquarters was covered by Springfield, Cranford and Union Fire Departments. Summit Police provided traffic control at the scene.

COMMENTS