UNION COUNTY — The Board of Chosen Freeholders is reminding residents that five Union County parks are designated for sledding:
- Briant Park in Summit.
- Echo Lake Park at the “Summer Arts Hill” near Springfield Avenue in Westfield.
- Lenape Park in Cranford in areas that are not close to waterways.
- Meisel Park in Springfield, in the detention basin area.
- Unami Park in Garwood.
“Fortunately, Union County was spared the worst of the storm, but school closures are still in effect today so it’s safe to assume that many young people will be out enjoying themselves in the snow,” said Freeholder Chairman Mohamed Jalloh.
To avoid tree hazards, sledders in Union County parks are strongly advised to avoid sledding devices that cannot be steered.
Downhill skiing is strictly prohibited in all County parks, but cross-country skiing is permitted in the following parks:
- Ash Brook Golf Course in Scotch Plains.
- Oak Ridge Golf Course in Clark.
- Watchung Reservation in Mountainside.
Skating on natural waterways in County parks is contingent on the availability of at least four inches of clear ice as measured by Parks officials in accordance with widely accepted safety standards. No waterways have met that standard so far this winter.
Union County’s indoor Warinanco Ice Skating Center is closed today, but it will be open for business as usual on Wednesday, Jan. 28.
Watchung Stable and the Trailside Nature and Science Center are also closed today and will resume normal operations on Wednesday, Jan. 28.